Monday, January 14, 2008

Whole lot of reading

As I was recovering from my cold, I didn't do much but I did get a lot of reading done. I finished In a Subburned Country by Bill Bryson, which I started before Christmas. Great book! Not only did it make me really want to visit Australia, it totally whet my appetite for more of his writing so I went out and got a bunch more, which I haven't started yet but Max just finished reading A Walk in the Woods and really enjoyed it.

After my trip to Australia, I read The Christmas Quilt by Jennifer Chiaverini. I love the whole series that she's written, the characters, the quilting, the house in the woods and so this was a nice feel good story that filled in the blanks a little more. It was a quick read and something easy for my brain to process, which is good because I was in a fog for a couple of days.

Then I started reading a book that I received in the holiday book exchange at my office,
My Life in France
My Life in France by Julia Child and Alex Prud'Homme . Read through half of it in one day and it's not exactly light reading (nor was I feeling much better that day), just that engrossing. It's been over five years since Max and I took our honeymoon in Paris... this book really brought me back, and made me want to go back. In fact, I'm hoping that Max will not take too light my suggestion that we should go back in 2010. As I was reading, I had my mother's copy of Mastering the Art of French Cooking sitting on my kitchen counter. Although I had no appetite and was too tired to make anything from it, I really wanted to! Especially her recipe for buerre blanc.

Right now I'm back to something lighter, Family Tree by Barbara Delinsky. Another book I received in a holiday gift exchange. There's a newborn baby, some talk about knitting and alot of arguing (which I can't say I necessarily enjoy but it's interesting and I'm sucked in). After I'm done with this I think I might go back to Bill Bryson.

No comments: