Monday, June 19, 2006

Happy Birthday to me!

The NeverEnding Story

This arrived on Friday. Thanks Kristina! I love this movie!

That night we went out for dinner at Fratelli II Italian Restaurant. I had the veal parmigiana with spaghetti (really yummy). Max had the fettucine alfredo (amazingly good cream sauce). For dessert we had cannolis. Yum!

On Saturday, we slept in a little, had breakfast at Cameron Perks, and opened my birthday present from Max. He got me a new camera and I love it! After breakfast we picked up my secrel pal package at the post office and then drove to Luray. We went to the Luray Caverns. It was so beautiful. I took lots of pictures with my new camera.

Luray Caverns Luray Caverns, Max on the right

After the 1 hour tour, we checked into the Woodruff Bed and Breakfast and had our Afternoon Tea. There was coffee, cookies, fruit, and a decadent chocolate cake. Afterwards we went for a short walk down main street, looked in the "antique" shops, and then came back for a rest before dinner. We ate in the restaurant downstairs. It was very good. Max had the crab cake and the rack of lamb. I had the proscuitto wrapped shrimp (which were only okay, a little overcooked) and the grilled portabello mushroom. After dinner, we went for another short walk, and then I opened the package from my secret pal. More about that tomorrow!!

Yesterday was my birthday. We slept in, had a delicious breakfast downstairs (fruit salad, quiche, and thick country bacon with coffee and fresh orange juice), relaxed, and then checked out before noon. We drove to the Shenandoah National Park and once inside, headed for the highest peak in the park. A two mile hike on my birthday! We saw a deer (only 3 feet away and not at all shy), some monarch butterflies, a chipmunk, and at the peak - 5 or 6 peregrine falcons.

2 mile hike in Shenandoah National Park

After we left the park, we stopped at a country store and picked up some locally made apple butter and cherry apple cider - and a quilt! It's beautiful. I'll post a picture later. For dinner we went to Cracker Barrel. It's my favorite place to eat whenever we take a road trip. I had the chicken fried chicken with carrots, mashed potatoes, and apples. Max had the chicken fried steak with mashed potatoes, macaroni and cheese, and corn. As usual, we were too full for dessert!

When we got home, I called my Dad to wish him a Happy Father's Day and he wished me a Happy Birthday. Talked to my Mom and my brother too. Tonight is dinner at the Elephant and Castle with Max, Erin, and Tanjina. Definitely the best birthday ever!

1 comment:

Andi said...

Happy Belated Birthday!