Thursday, July 10, 2008

The Omnivore's Dilemma

I just finished reading this last night. It's a good book but I have to warn you, right from the introduction (which you can read on Michael Pollan's website) the beginning is dark and awful... mostly because I didn't really know what went on at CAFOs, how much corn is a part of every processed food we eat (not to mention the container it's in), and how industrial organic is not really as good as I thought it was (sadly more industrial than organic). Once Michael Pollan gets to Polyface Farms though, it's uphill from there... resembling more the farm I imagine when I think of where I once visited my godparents when I was a small child. I also really enjoyed the forest section and hearing about the perfect meal. This kind of food is actually scientifically, quantifiably more nutritious. I love it.

What would I do if I could?
1) Cut out most processed foods
2) Eat more local food
3) Switch to real grass fed meat (not just grass finished)

I've started doing some of these things but to make a complete switch, I'd need to get Max on board. He's pretty good about this "green" stuff but it takes more time and money than we are willing to put into it (gradually more but it's a slow process). This morning I just started reading Fast Food Nation. Hopefully this will help to further improve my food choices... if not, there's In Defense of Food.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Washington Post did an article on Polyface Farm some months ago. It was very nice. Also, Chipolte outlets in the Charlottesville area are using pork for their Carnitas offerings from Polyface Farm. The farm offers tours. I have not been but would like to take my kids there. I am itching to read the book.

Anonymous said...

In defense of food actually continues down a similar road. The title is a bit misleading but is an excellent book.