Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Currently reading

Max picked up American Shaolin by Matthew Polly to read on the plane ride from Chicago to DC. With the delays and the engrossing nature of the book, he was almost done by the time we got home. I started reading it over the weekend and I can see why he finished it so quickly. The story is funny and well written. And since Matthew Polly was in Shaolin around the same time as Max and I were in highschool in Beijing, there are many familiar references that are both 90s and China in the 90s. Which is to say, I can relate... at least to part of it. Like the long letters home to friends (some were answered, some were not), missing food from home, and the feeling so isolated in a sea of Chinese people.

I highly recommend it. Definitely a good read!

No comments: