Friday, December 07, 2007

Red mittens finished

IMG_3899

My red mittens had their first real test run this morning on my morning commute. The 13% cashmere content makes them soft but not necessarily toasty warm when outside in the wind and near freezing temperatures. I think they would be perfect for riding in a cold car though. Or for the fall when it's not so cold. Still, they fit well and I will continue wearing them since they match my red Koolhaas hat. Maybe they just need mitten liners.

Last night I cast on something new, the Short-Row Hat by Veronik Avery using Shepherd Worsted Multi by Lorna's Laces. So far I can barely tell where the pattern is going but I don't yet understand how it will all fit together. The yarn is wonderful, soft and beautiful, and does not untwist in the least.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those look just delightful against all that snow! How very pretty.
Isn't Christmas knitting such fun?!

Teri S. said...

The mittens are perfect! The perfect liner would be silk glove liners, which I think you can probably get at REI. I use them with my store bought wool mittens and they work great. Of course, for windy days, a gortex overmitt works well, too.

The snow was great, although the commuting wasn't. We got about 3" in Leesburg. All gone now, of course. Hopefully we'll get more soon!

limedragon :-: Harriet said...

Wow, that's a lot of snow! The mittens look great. : )

Can't wait to see your SR Hat... It's such a fascinating pattern, to see the short-rows take form. The magic is more apparent after the first repeat. Good luck! : )