Friday, September 15, 2006

Reading

One of my co-workers asked me for my top 5-10 recommendations of classics/current nonfiction/fiction/cultural awareness literature to read.

The first authors that came to mind were Michael Ondaatje and Anita Shreve. I've read many of their books. Though the subject matter they write about is vastly different, they both have a beautiful way with words.

My favorites by Michael Ondaatje: In the Skin of a Lion, The English Patient (the book is very different from the movie), The Cinnamon Peeler (poetry), and Anil's Ghost.

My favorites by Anita Shreve: Sea Glass and The Pilot's Wife.

I also enjoy reading about asian culture: Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden, The Master of Go by Yasunari Kawabata, and Obasan by Joy Kogawa.

And lastly, I suggested that she also try: Rebekah by Orson Scott Card, Sarah by Orson Scott Card, Rachel and Leah: Women of Genesis by Orson Scott Card, Knitting: A Novel by Anne Bartlett, and The Shop On Blossom Street by Debbie Macomber.

Currently reading A Map of Glass by Jane Urquhart.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your recommendations - there are a couple among them that I've read and loved, but also many that are completely unknown to me - I will check them out for sure!

limedragon :-: Harriet said...

Hmm, I've not read the Women of Genesis books by OSC, so I must look for them next time I'm at the store/library. I read both of Macomber's Shop books and enjoyed them, too. Shreve is another author I've seen recommended higly, but have yet to read. Funny how my "To Read" list never shrinks. : )