Thursday, May 28, 2009

Boston eats

Since we were staying at a hotel, eating out every night was inevitable so I made reservations ahead of time using Open Table to ensure that we got to eat at our favorite restaurants and also try out some new ones.

In order of preference:

Elephant Walk
This is one of our favorite restaurants, only a few blocks away from two apartments that Max rented for 3 years while he lived in Boston. I had the Crêpe de Canard aux Poires - Savory crêpe filled with braised duck, pear, scallion and crème fraiche - and the Crevettes Amrita - Natural shrimp sautéed in a lightly sweet Cambodian satay sauce with coriander, cumin, cardamom, galangal, cinnamon, ginger, peanuts, star anise and lemongrass; with button mushroom, onion and scallion. Both were very good.



Max had, as always, the Loc Lac - Sautéed, cubed beef tenderloin, lightly caramelized in black pepper, garlic and mushroom soy; served over shredded lettuce with a lime and black pepper dipping sauce. We shared dessert, the Crêpe au Calvados aux Pommes - Calvados-flavored crêpe filled with caramelized cinnamon apples, garnished with vanilla bean ice cream and crème Anglaise. Also delicious.



Legal Seafoods
I had the clam chowder to start - it's my favorite. For dinner I had the grilled shrimp with snap peas and onion fries. For dessert I had the bananas fosters... no picture though because I had to eat it before the ice cream melted! :)



Upstairs on the Square

It's fun and funky like Harvard Square where it is located. I have always wanted to go there and what decided it for me this time was that there was a vegetarian menu for Max's Mom. Turns out the vegetarian menu is not offered every day, which was a disappointment but there were some vegetarian options on the regular menu for her to choose from. I had the garlic soup to start; it was good - flavorful but not too garlicky. For dinner I had the chicken and fiddlehead ferns. Delicious! And cooked just right. With the bread though, it was alot of food and Max ended up finishing it for me.



LTK (Legal Test Kitchen)

It's different than Legal Seafoods, their attempt to create something hip and trendy. The food was good but only that. Not worth going back. I had the Red Salad (radicchio, crumbled gorgonzola, candied pecans, dried cherries and balsamic vinaigrette) with grilled shrimp. Max had the clam chowder and lobster mac and cheese.



On Friday during our walk, Max and I stopped at Mike's Pastry during one of our walks to get a cannoli and an apple strudel. Yum! There's only a picture of the box because we ate the pastries before I thought about taking a picture.

1 comment:

KSee said...

did you waddle back? That sure is some good looking food.