Monday, March 19, 2007

Weekend round-up

I spent quite a bit of time knitting over the weekend (while Max played Zelda) but I have nothing to show for it. I finished a hat but cannot show it because I made it for my secret pal. I started something else but then turned out to not have enough yarn to make anything from it so I unravelled it. I made a cute little dish cloth but also cannot show that since it is a present for someone else. And then there's the Odeassa hat that I started over twice because I wasn't paying enough attention (watching Max play Zelda instead) and twice it came out like crap. I'm on the "third time is a charm" but only made it to the third row of ribbing. So far it's fine. The pattern is not even difficult, only requires a modicum of attention... but apparently I could not even handle that.

Max has played for over 60 hours and we're getting close to finishing the game. We always spend a lot of time on side-quests but we're almost done with those, Max doing the actual playing but I help out with figuring out the puzzles and stuff. Just need to get through the Cave of Ordeals and then he can go save the princess.

Currently reading, for the third or fourth time, Magician by Raymond E. Feist. It's been a long time since I read it so although I remember generally what happened, all the details seem new to me again. I'm reading Max's copy of the author's special edition. Almost all of the fantasy books in our house are his but I have read most of them and have come to really enjoy this genre of books. If I get in a reading slump, it's usually the fantasy books that bring me back. Last year is was Robert Jordan. This year is Raymond E. Feist. I was also considering David Eddings, so that series might be next in line.

I went driving on Sunday. It was a short drive but into new territory, outside my residential community, stopped and turned at a stop light, and drove on a multi-lane street for one city block at 35mph before turning back into my community. Major accomplishment. My heart was racing and I think I forgot to keep breathing. But after a quick drive through my neighborhood, I drove around and did it again, this time going two city blocks and taking an exit ramp into the city park next to where we live. Max had a minor heart attack when I didn't take the first turn but then quickly realised where I was going. We stopped in the park and walked around in the cold to help me cool down and then I drove us home. So, it's getting better. One day I will be able to subdue (and hopefully rid myself of) my mother's voice in the back of my head screaming "OH MY GOD WE'RE GOING TO DIE!"
Post a Comment