Monday, December 13, 2010

Weekend in New York



I had a day off on Friday so Max and I spent the weekend in New York!

On Saturday, as part of my Christmas present, Max bought tickets for us to see the Christmas Spectacular starring the Rockettes. It was amazing! Like a Disney show, the Nutcracker, and a Christmas mass all in one. There was even a 3D element for Santa to get from the North Pole to Radio City Hall. I cried three times.

I took my picture with a Christmas Elmo (dressed up for tips), saw the Christmas tree at the Rockefeller Center, got some coffee at Starbucks, and made our way to the beginning of the holiday window tour (doing a little shopping along the way - I bought a new purse and matching wallet). We had lunch at Cafe SFA on the 8th floor of Saks Fifth Avenue, mostly because I desperately needed a break from all the crowds and my feet also needed a break. Lunch was good - my only complaint was the tiny bathrooms with only two stalls. Picked up something for my sister and got it all fancy wrapped.

By far, the best holiday window was Macy's, of course, but my favorite of all time is still the ones I saw in Toronto at the Hudson's Bay Company. After dark, we went back to Rockefeller Center to see the tree again. It was a mob scene. SO MANY PEOPLE. (I was later told that the best time to go is at 2am.)

We had dinner at 9:30pm with one of Max's friend's, Melissa, at Le Souk, a Moroccan restaurant/hookah bar. The apple mojito was delicious! At some point, the restaurant switched over to an Arabic dance club. We stayed out until 2:30am I think. As we were leaving, I was hit on by a good looking 20-something guy. Highlight of my night!

On Sunday, Max and I had brunch with our highschool friend Angela and her husband Alan at their place. On a whim we bought them a three foot Christmas tree from a guy who was selling fresh cut trees on the street - which was perfect because they didn't have one. All in all, a great Christmas in New York weekend!

No comments: