Sunday, April 10, 2011

Currently reading


Radio Shangri-La: What I learned in Bhutan. the Happiest Kingdom on Earth by Lisa Napoli. Just came out in February.

Read up to the end of chapter 2 before bed. Love it so far! And I feel like I can totally relate (not that I'm 40 or burned out or overwhelmed by regret... but I am looking for a way to recharge my life).

I'm fascinated by the idea of National Gross Happiness. Sounds like a wonderful way to live! Looking forward to learning more about Bhutan and their way of life.

1 comment:

Grinling E Gibbons said...

Have not read the book but I am familiar with the concept, Gross National Happiness. I think it is definitely a step in the right direction. We try to measure too much of ourselves against GNP and it is not working. Some of the most valuable things in life, like happiness, are left out the measure. we need to measure what is tangible as well as what is not tangible; work done in the home, work done by volunteers. We need measure of Gross National physical health, mental health, spiritual health.

It is a fact that what is measured is what is noticed so we need to measure everything that is truly important not just what is directly related to money.