Friday, September 21, 2007

The Yarn Harlot in Virginia

Yesterday I went to work, then yoga from 5:15-6:15pm, then straight to the Borders in Falls Church. I arrived around 7pm and my place in line was number 125. Luckily I was able to get a seat, two knitters from Maryland on my right, a daughter and mother on my left. 4 out of 5 of us were knitting. I brought the hat I started on Tuesday or Wednesday, using the Art Yarns pattern and yarn that I had bought in California in May. This is intended as a hat for a family member for Christmas but as I knit it up, well, the colours are beautiful. As I sat and knit, the seating area filled up a bit more until I think there must have been 300 people there to hear the Yarn Harlot speak.



She was funny!

No, really funny. So funny! I mean, you can tell that she is from her blog and her books but in person, even more funny. Her delivery of stories and jokes, knitting related or not, are often deadpan and hysterical. There was alot of clapping, loud laughter, hooting and hollering. It was great! She spoke from 7:30 until almost 9pm, taking a few questions from the audience before she was whisked away by Daniel who works at Borders. Here's the hats that were collected:



The first section was called, 1-25, and so I went to pay for my book, look around the store a bit more, was complimented on my bamboo poncho and then found a group of women with whom to knit and chat and pass the time. I met Lee of Knitterlee, who was knitting a scarf and then started on something else, Terri of Knitting Libran, who was knitting her Clapotis, and two other women whose names I never got. One worked at IBM and the other was wearing a very colourful jacket. Here's the hat I was working on:



Max came to pick me up around 10:45pm and they were still on section 75-100. On Thursdays I am usually wiped out after yoga and getting ready to hit the pillow by 11pm. I was exhausted and decided that, as much as I would have loved to meet the Yarn Harlot and have her sign my book and ask her what the Canadian test is... I was done.

Still, what a great evening. If I'm this tired today, I can only imagine how tired Stephanie must be. Maybe that's why she's so funny. :)

4 comments:

Marlene said...

I'm not sure from your comment whether you were going to ask her what the test was, or if you were planning on testing her, but I know the answer. Heh.

"When you eat your Smarties do you __ __ __ __ __ ?

A Canadian will not only know the answer, but will be able to SING it. ;-)

Anonymous said...

It was great meeting you last night. My number was 123 and it was after 11 before I got to see her. She couldn't have been nicer, although when she saw even more knitters headed her way she put her head down on the table in front of her. Poor woman must be exhausted.

Trish said...

I was number 130 and got my book signed at about 11:20. My husband was a little annoyed that I got home so late, but it was definitely worth. From where I was sitting, I wasn't able to actually see her, so I was glad I stuck around for the signing.

limedragon :-: Harriet said...

Glad you had a good time. She is a really good speaker.

Too bad about these signing lines.