Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Food addiction

On our way back from Pennsylvania on Saturday, Max and I stopped at a country store after driving by a sign that said "HOMEMADE PIE." We bought some apples, two bell peppers, a small jar of black raspberry jam, and a medium jar of strawberry rhubarb jam. But did we buy any pie? No. Did I regret it right away? No, not right away... but pie is one of those foods that I get cravings for (like pizza and chocolate) that when it hits me, I can't get enough of it and until I have had enough (sometimes it lasts for weeks), it doesn't go away and only gets worse. Talk about food addiction. I'm sure that must be a real thing.

There's nowhere near me that makes really good homemade pies, not the kind with the commercial crust and the commercial pie filling. And the only place I can really think of is... well, me. So out comes the Pies and Tarts cookbook by Edna Staebler (that I stole from my Mom when I moved out of the house). Max is picky about his pies. He doesn't like custard pies or meringue pies, nothing with prunes or alot of ginger. So we decided on the "Luscious Apple Pie," which I've made before and carries the notation Really Good. One of the ingredients is almond extract. I think this time I'm going to try maple extract instead. If it turns out, I'll post the recipe. If not, just the picture!

No comments: