Monday, December 04, 2006

A Disney Christmas

For months now, I've been planning for my parents' visit. Originally they were going to come in March but then they decided that would be too rushed since we were going to Berlin in April - which was okay because they decided they wanted to come stay with us for Christmas. At first I was skeptical... afterall it would be the first time my parents had not spent Christmas at home with the family. But they were adamant, they were definitely going to come. They were so definite about it that I relaxed and started to really look forward to their visit, planning what we would do while they were here, buying food and wine they would like, looking for just the perfect stocking holders to hang their stockings on the fireplace mantel. Max and I hung up some of our Christmas lights on Saturday and the house was starting to look a little festive.

Then my Dad called me yesterday.
They're not coming.

There's a pretty good reason why they're not coming but I can't help but feel sad and disappointed. Over the phone, I was calm and mature and let him know that I understood but then I broke down once I hung up. It's hard to set the emotions aside completely. Max felt bad for me and he did his best to make me feel better.

We're going to Walt Disney World!

He got on the phone after I talked to my parents and called Disney reservations. With some work with the Disney sales rep, he was able to get us non-stop flights to Orlando and we're staying at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. Max is the best! It will be a short trip but we're both really excited. It's been over three years since our last trip and this is our all-time favorite vacation location. Just like the Disney commercial, Max couldn't fall asleep last night because he was too excited. Today I spent some time booking our dinner reservations and planning an itinerary. I'm still sad that my parents cancelled but I'm happy about the silver lining we created for ourselves.

What are your plans for the holidays?

1 comment:

vanessa said...

your max is wonderful!